Monday, October 6, 2008

Take Me Home, Country Roads....

If you've grown up in the hills, you don't realize how much you miss them until you come back. On our way back from the D.C. airport, Jake and I were practically speechless as we realized how much we have missed the changing of the seasons, the endless fields of corn, and the rolling hills. Breathtaking. And everything looks so green compared to the desert wasteland that is Zambia this time of year!

We've been home since last Wednesday. A more joyful homecoming has never been seen! Sunda did fantastically and is already so attached to Jake's mom, "Nene", that I worry about tearing them apart in January. In our first 5 minutes in the house I burst into tears as I watched Sunda crawl around on the carpeted floor and open a new toy. It just seemed too comfortable to be true. A carpeted floor. A couch. A place where Sunda could play and not come back with stickers in her shorts and sand in her hair. The little things mean a lot sometimes.

It has been busy weekend and today Jake, Sunda, and I are just taking it easy. Nene and Pappy have gone to work today and Uncle Cody to school. Pretty soon Jake and I will be spending our days on the phone talking to supporters or driving around to meet with them. So, we're lounging in our jammies, amazed at how many channels are on TV,and periodically putting Sunda in a warm bath to play...just because she can!

I feel like I'm the one whom this transition is taking the hardest toll on. Sunda has adapted beautifully, as most kids tend to do. And Jake is so easygoing he just flows from place to place like there's no change at all. To me, I almost feel guilty being so comfortable. After 5 days of visiting, I feel like I should be doing something productive. I'm itching to be of use, somewhere. It's a different kind of busy here in America. A different kind of difficult. I can't really explain it right now.

All I know is that I had Honey Nut Cheerios for breakfast, and there's a box of Velveeta Shells and Cheese waiting for lunch! Yum! (Don't judge me...I'm on vacation ;) )

6 comments:

LillyB said...

Glad you guys made it back safely! If you are up in Northern Virginia, I hope you call, I would love to see you and meet your beautiful baby! Maybe you can come to school with me and teach my classes some songs...would that be the kind of useful you are looking for?

Beth said...

You cried seeing the carpet... I cried reading about you seeing the carpet. It could be worse. :)

Andrew Roth said...

I'm glad to hear that you guys are back stateside! Blessings!

Brooke Barnett said...

Jessi - We're so glad you're back!! Brooke and I think about you guys and love reading your blog. WE WOULD LOVE TO GET TO SPEND SOME TIME WITH YOU GUYS! Is there a way to contact you?

I hear there's a welcome back party in Morgantown soon, but sadly we'll be gone on Fall Retreat.

Let me know,
Brian

Anonymous said...

Jessi & Jake,
It is so good to see that you have made it back to WV. I will be in Weirton the weekend of Oct. 24th. It would be awesome to catch up and to meet Sunda. Jessi - I would enjoy getting some parenting advice as I am due around Christmas. I really hope to catch up. How long are you in for?
Take care & God Bless!
Deanna (Marsh) Yensen

Heather said...

If by any chance you three are headed to the east coast towards New Jersey, do let me know. It'd be great to see you!

You could multi-task and consider it business + fellowship because my boyfriend, Eric, and I are trying to figure out how to return to Uganda for an extended amount of time. Let's just say I overheard him asking natives how one would go about finding a place to live. We've got a lot of unanswered questions at this point and I'd love to rehear your story.

Love you, Jessi! And Jake, and Sunda even though I haven't met her yet.

Enjoy being stateside!
-Heather Parrish